Mobilization for Justice Helps Taxi Drivers Challenge Summonses that Threaten their Livelihood
Mobilization for Justice, in collaboration with the Help Center of the Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings (OATH), provides free legal assistance to low-income New York City taxi drivers facing civil penalties resulting from summonses issued by the New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC).
Our Drivers Protection Project:
- Interviews drivers before their hearings
- Reviews and explains the summonses
- Advises on the financial and/or ancillary consequences of the hearing.
- Assists drivers in rescheduling their hearing date, if appropriate
- Investigates drivers’ cases and assists them with requesting hearing evidence from TLC
- Conducts legal research to determine if there are any defenses available
- Advocates for drivers in settling a summons with TLC
- Prepares and represents drivers at their adjourned hearings
How to Get Assistance
Taxi and other for-hire drivers who would like to receive assistance with their TLC summonses should schedule an appointment with the New York City Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings’ (“OATH”) Help Center by emailing Manhelpcenter@oath.nyc.gov or calling at (212) 436-0845. The OATH Help Center will then refer qualifying drivers to MFJ for free legal advice and/or representation regarding their TLC summonses. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, MFJ is conducting all driver interviews and OATH hearings remotely by phone.